Parental Relocation

Serving Dakota County, The Twin Cities Area And Greater Minnesota

After a divorce, it is not uncommon for a custodial parent to move to a new location to pursue a job, move closer to immediate family or pursue a fresh start in a new location. While the custodial parent may have a valid reason for moving to a new location, the non-custodial parent may object, as the move may interfere with his or her visitation (parenting time) rights.

If you are a custodial parent seeking to move or a non-custodial parent who opposes the relocation of a custodial parent, it is critical that you retain an experienced family law attorney. You can find the sound advice and vigorous representation you require at Sheridan & Dulas, P.A., in Eagan, Minnesota.

Protect Your Rights

Minnesota law has specific rules about a parent's rights and responsibilities in a relocation dispute. A custodial parent seeking to move out of state with minor children must obtain the permission of the non-custodial parent or obtain prior court approval for the move if the non-custodial parent has been awarded parenting time by court order [Minn. Stat. 518.175 Subd. 3]. However, some divorce decrees contain language specifying that the law of another state shall apply or contain specific provisions granting the custodial parent greater freedom to move.

We can review your divorce decree and help you determine your best course of action. We can negotiate on your behalf to seek or oppose a relocation. If necessary, we will vigorously advocate on your behalf in the courtroom.

Put Our Experience To Work For You

Attorney DeAnne Dulas, a partner of the firm, has practiced law since 1996 and devotes her practice chiefly to Minnesota family law. She was selected for inclusion in the Rising Stars list by Minnesota Law and Politics earlier in her career and has since helped many clients successfully resolve family law matters.

Ms. Dulas is creative and proactive problem solvers. She seeks to resolve disputes as amicably and efficiently as possible, while fully safeguarding her clients' rights. When disputes may not be resolved by negotiation, mediation or other forms of alternative dispute resolution, DeAnne Dulas has the trial experience necessary to be a strong advocate for their clients in the courtroom.

Contact Our St. Paul Child Relocation Attorneys

Based in Eagan, we practice in Dakota County, throughout the Twin Cities metro area, and in Greater Minnesota. To speak with a Minnesota parental relocation lawyer at our firm, call 651-968-1249 or contact us toll free at 800-491-9983. You may also contact us by e-mail.