Sheridan & Dulas, P.A. Attorneys at law
Call For A Free Consultation 651-968-1249

Same-sex couple plan divorce to make state recognize marriage

Two women may have to get a divorce, so the state they are residing in will recognize their marriage. The two women were married in California and bought a house in Mississippi. Unfortunately, the marriage did not last, but they want to force Mississippi to recognize the same-sex marriage for the reason of granting the divorce.

The number of states legalizing same-sex marriage will soon increase to 16; most states -- like Mississippi - will not recognize such marriages or help to end them. Gay couples who move to those states after marrying somewhere else face barriers if they wish to divorce, as do couples from those states who take a trip out-of-state to get married.

Many times, such couples who live in states that do not recognize the marriage would have to move back to the state where they were married and establish residency just to get divorced. The woman that is trying to divorce in Mississippi could get a divorce in California, but her lawyer informed her that Mississippi wouldn't recognize the divorce and their marital property would remain up in the air.

Right-to-divorce cases have come up in some other states with constitutional bans on same-sex marriage, including Texas and Kentucky. Although, one same-sex couple was able to be granted a divorce in a state that doesn't officially recognize same-sex marriages. In 2011, the Wyoming Supreme Court ruled that two women who were married in Canada could be granted a divorce in the state, overturning a ruling by a district judge.

Depending on a couple's situation, many serious issues can be affected by the inability to get a divorce, including child custody, property division, and health coverage for a spouse. To determine what your rights are in the state where you reside, a legal professional should be consulted and then recommend the best course of legal action to take.

Source:, "Some states see fight for right to same-sex divorce" No author given, Dec. 01, 2013

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Take Action To Protect Your Future. Contact Us For A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

1380 Corporate Center Curve

1380 Corporate Center Curve Suite 320
Eagan, MN 55121

Phone: 651-968-1249
Fax: 651-686-7870
Eagan Law Office Map