Sheridan & Dulas PA Sheridan & Dulas PA
Call For A Free Consultation
651-968-1249 800-491-9983

Changing parenting time after a divorce

In a divorce, child custody issues are based on the best interests of the child. So when a Minnesota parent wants to change parenting time after a parenting plan has been awarded, this can be a challenging issue. Children thrive on stability, so changing a routine could cause emotional upsets. However, life changes, and sometimes family issues or job demands may cause relocation or other modifications to the custody schedule. There are ways to deal with these issues, but it's not always easy.

In many cases, the parent must have significant proof that the circumstances warrant the change, especially when it occurs later rather than sooner. This may mean proving that the child is in danger. But if you simply require a minor change due to a job change or a temporary situation, we can handle that as well. In some cases, a child may want to live with the other parent as he or she gets older. There may be situations in which one parent is neglecting or abusing the child. There may be a drug or alcohol addiction that is affecting a parent's ability to care for the child.

When the matter is minor, a decision may be made in only one hearing. But when the modification is major - such as a custody change - the process is more complex. Multiple hearings are required, as well as investigations.

If you wish to increase or decrease your parenting time, consider talking to us first. We can evaluate your situation and determine if you have a strong case. These types of cases are very emotional and there is a lot at stake. But with our expertise, we can work towards getting a successful modification.

Source: For more information on child custody modifications, visit our web page.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
back to top