Sheridan & Dulas, P.A. Attorneys at law
Call For A Free Consultation 651-968-1249

The best way to obtain a child support modification

If you realize that you are unable to make your child support payments in full, you shouldn't wait a single day to learn more about your legal rights.

Although you understand the importance of paying in full and on time, to provide your child with financial support, there could come a point when you are unable to do so.

This is where a child support modification comes into play. Although the court does not have to grant a modification, you have the right to request one if you are unable to make your payments.

Here are the steps you need to take if this is something you want to do:

  • Make your first move as soon as possible. The court will not understand that you need a child support modification until you move forward with the process. For this reason, you are expected to make your payments in full.
  • Learn more about your legal rights, such as the steps you can take to put yourself in position for success.
  • Speak to the other parent about what's going on. If you can show the other parent that you are unable to make your child support payments, maybe as the result of a job loss or illness, he or she may agree to a modification for the time being.
  • Pay what you can. Even if you are unable to pay in full, paying something will show the court that you are doing your best to comply.
  • Document your life changes. Regardless of the factors that are making it a challenge to pay your child support, you need to take good notes. For instance, if you lost your job, you'll need to provide the court with proof.

When you do all these things, while also knowing your legal rights as someone who pays child support, you'll find it much easier to tackle the process in an efficient manner.

It's your hope that the court understands your situation, thus agreeing to a modification. This will make your life much easier from a financial perspective.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
Email Us For A Response

Take Action To Protect Your Future. Contact Us For A Free Consultation

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

1380 Corporate Center Curve

1380 Corporate Center Curve Suite 320
Eagan, MN 55121

Phone: 651-968-1249
Fax: 651-686-7870
Eagan Law Office Map